CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Afternoon Snack


I made some donuts with my electric sandwich maker.  They are not shaped like a traditional cake donut, but they are yummy! 

It took a minute to convince the boys that they were actually donuts, but when they tried them, they decided they like them.

Here's the recipe, in case you want to try it:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup milk 1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 quarts oil for deep frying

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar


1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.


2. Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet or deep-fryer to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C). On a floured board, roll chilled dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a 3 inch round cutter to cut out doughnuts. Use a smaller cutter to cut holes from center. If you do not have a small cutter, use the mouth of a bottle.

3. Fry doughnuts in hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Remove from oil to drain on paper plates. Combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar in a large resealable bag. Place a few warm donuts into the bag at a time, seal and shake to coat.

Ok, so here's the changes I made.  I didn't use oil at all for frying.  I mixed the batter as directed, then put a small amount into each well of my sandwich maker. I didn't refrigerate for one hour.  After removing from heat, I sprayed them with Pam then tossed into the cinnamon sugar blend.  You could brush with melted butter if you didn't want to do the Pam. 
 
Anyway, they would probably be better prepared as directed, but they were pretty yummy as I made them!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Way to go Betty Crocker! I love my electric sandwich maker, but I never thought to do something like this before.

Thomas Turner said...

Thanks for the information. I really like the way you express complex topics in lucid way. It really helps me understand it much better way. donut maker cutter